Thursday, March 24, 2011

3. Decision Points by George W. Bush

"Darn it. He's human." That's what I thought after my first hour-long sit down with this book. My friend was right. You might have a very different opinion of this man after you've read the book.

Written around the most significant decisions in George W. Bush's political career, the "autobiography" tackles the thoughts behind big-topic events like the 9/11 attacks and his consequent decision to invade Iraq, Hurricane Katrina or the usual how he was groomed or not groomed for President and what he was like growing up type stuff. 

Being Jamaican, I can easily admit that although I lived in the United States as an adult for several years and found myself engrossed in numerous friendly political discussions during that time, I didn't have much respect for Bush or any other American President. This book, however, allows the reader to see G.W. Bush, the man... who happened to be President of the United States of America.

The memoir, if you can call it that, gives information not often known or even considered by the general public. Still, we can't ignore the fact that this book is not a tell-all from Bush. Things have been left out but I dare not say that stories have been altered. Bottom line, he beat the historians to the punch with his own account of key events in America's history. Few should be surprised if someone else may come out with their own account of Bush's presidential journey in due time... whenever due time may be.

In the meantime, Bush's book, Decision Points gives an insightful view into the life of the (or a) US President. Young aspiring politicians and historians will lose themselves in the little talked about details surrounding the major events outlined in the book. Everyone will judge Bush as both man and politician. After all, can you really separate the two? The audio version is available. This is not a full article-long review but have offered my honest review.


This is the third book of 24 non-work books that I've challenged myself to read in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment