Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Author Interview: Steve Piacente

We've seen Bella's book trailer here on Book Blogette but now I wanted to get a bit raw with the author, Steve Piacente, by asking the questions that authors usually ask me. Steve was ready to talk in a stereotypical Book Blogette way with his honest responses as I attempted to demystify the publishing and writing process for new writers.



Book Blogette
Steve, How long did it take you to write the book, Bella?

Steve Piacente
It took roughly three years to write Bella, and then another eight months to build a social media-based marketing plan that includes a website, trailer, and Facebook, YouTube and Twitter pages.






Book Blogette
I noticed that you self-published with CreateSpace. Did you consider publishing with a traditional publisher?

Steve Piacente
I began with a bonafide DC agent who has clients you’d recognize. She wasn’t successful in getting us a publisher right away and really didn’t have a Plan B. I decided to part ways and self-publish. I believe I’m much further along now than I would have been with the agent. I didn’t pick CreateSpace for any other reason than it was tied to Amazon, and also had a lot of free resources for self-publishers.


Book Blogette
How long did it take you to go from manuscript stage to having the book in hand?

Steve Piacente
That was fairly quick, probably about three months. Most of the time was spent on revisions we made after receiving a proof back from CreateSpace.


Book Blogette
Did you hire a book designer?

Steve Piacente
I’ll answer, but first let me point your readers toward my blog . I’m using the blog to document the significant steps that have gotten us to this point. There are posts about the cover, trailer, and much more. I did hire a designer for the cover, but was heavily involved myself with regard to the concept, the “hands” that are holding the remains of Hank’s uniform, and the color scheme. I think self-publishers have to be honest with themselves about what skills they possess. My bottom line is that everything needs to have a professional look and feel. That doesn’t mean you need to spend a fortune to get the job done. If you’re a skilled web designer, for instance, go for it!




Book Blogette
How did you handle the editing process?

Steve Piacente
I hired a veteran journalist to edit Bella. She went through each chapter and made suggestions and / or asked questions. No matter how great a writer you are, I think it’s absolutely critical to have a professional writer / editor (who is not a friend or relative) take a very hard look at your work.


Book Blogette
What made you decide to do a book trailer? Do you think it aided with the marketing and sales of your book?

Steve Piacente
The trailer came about by accident when I made friends with a fellow adjunct at American University, where I teach part time. She turned out to be an independent filmmaker. When I told her about the Bella project, she suggested a trailer and I jumped at the chance. And yes, I think the Bella trailer, at www.getbella.com, has been a tremendous asset when it comes to marketing the book. Secret revealed: that’s my daughter Danielle in a cameo as Bella in the trailer!


Book Blogette
Now I know that you are a journalism teacher so you're no writing amateur. Did formal training aid in your writing Bella? Can the regular guy really self-publish?

Steve Piacente
My reporting background and time in the Johns Hopkins fiction program have been invaluable in writing fiction. While I believe a lot of good writing is more nature than nurture, I do believe that classes in technique, character development and so on are critical to help “regular guys” avoid elementary pitfalls. The other side of this is that technology has now made it possible for anyone to publish anything. That doesn’t worry me, as I believe the market – and consumers – will weed out bad writing and that good work will rise to the top.

Book Blogette
What do you believe is the most important thing/characteristic needed for one to become a successful self-published author?

Steve Piacente
You have to be comfortable and skilled in making the transition from creative writing to creative marketing. That’s easier said than done. Writing is solitary. You’re alone at the computer with your thoughts. It’s quiet. Switch to marketing, and you’ve got to worry about catchy phrases and appealing to the masses. You’ve got to build a messaging arsenal that consists of tweeting, blogging, posting photos and videos, and more. You’ve got to be as relentless at selling your book as you were at writing it. If not, you better have the money to hire someone to do all this for you because it is work that must be done.

Read more about Steve Piacente's Superman-inspired writing bug at getbella.com.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed!! and i dig that book cover. heading over to the site. hey, did you ever finish with the 'finish the story' feature that you did on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sidne,

    Yes. The story was finished with the aid of the person who started it. Some edits where made but I hope to get everything out tomorrow on the blog! I'm excited. I just need to refine the layout a bit. Check back this week to see what's up.

    A new story is about to start soon too - hopefully on Friday. You can keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete