Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Irie Morning Preview: Good Book – Good Trailer?

Adom Burke, graduate of the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts, did a beautiful job of illustrating the new children's book, Irie Morning. The book is undoubtedly Caribbean and the illustrations are certainly a true and respectable representation of "island living." Written by Jamaican publicist and TV show producer, Alison Moss-Solomon, Irie Morning seems promising. There aren't many Caribbean based children's books around and I am always happy to see new books from Jamaican writers.



If you are reading this blog, you probably know that one must be very careful when publishing a book. Let me be more direct. You have to ensure that the book is well-edited. The same is to be said for promotional materials and video trailers or book previews are no exception. When your promotional materials contain errors, they often hurt your reputation by giving a not-so-good first impression. Unfortunately, the trailer for Irie Morning is missing quite a few punctuation marks. Am I just being a prick because I work in the publishing industry? Perhaps I am, but the missing punctuation marks really bothered me.


Nevertheless, the book previews/trailers gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. They even urged me to find out more about the title. I just wish that more care was taken in creating the trailer for what seems to be such a promising children's book. I really appreciate the illustrations and will be securing a copy for my nieces to share. Check out another trailer below.


Select illustrations from the book are available for viewing online. Check them out on the Irie Kids Books page on Facebook or support the writer and illustrator by attending the book launch at Bookophilia on Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 4pm and securing your copy. 

Irie Morning is available at Bookophilia in Kingston, Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment